Michael R. Everett
3120 Fireline Rd.
Palmerton, PA 18071
Michael R Everett DDS PC

Children & Infant Care

Baby’s First Checkup
The American Dental Association (ADA), American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD), and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend parents take their baby to the dentist as soon as his or her first tooth erupts, usually around six months after birth. One way or the other, your child should see the dentist at least once before his or her first birthday. Establishing a Dental Home is an important step in a baby's life. At this appointment, Dr. Albert can check for tooth decay or any other issues, as well as teach you how to properly care for your baby’s new teeth and how to handle any potentially negative habits, such as thumb sucking. She'll reveal all the secrets to keeping your baby free from cavities and mouth pain.

Even Babies Get Cavities

Parents should begin preventive care early because even infants can develop dental problems. One common issue is often referred to as “baby bottle tooth decay” or early childhood caries. As soon as a child’s first tooth comes in, decay is possible, but there are several ways to prevent your baby from developing early-onset tooth decay.
The AAPD recommends that mothers avoid at-will breast feeding and falling asleep while nursing once the baby’s first teeth begin to erupt and other food sources have become part of the baby’s diet. Children should also never be given fruit juice in a bottle, nor should they be allowed to sleep with a bottle containing anything other than water.
Parents should clean their baby’s gums with a soft infant toothbrush or a gentle cloth, and as soon as the first teeth appear, parents should begin brushing the child’s tooth (or teeth) with a soft brush. Instilling these simple practices should keep your baby’s teeth and gums healthy and set the stage for good dental habits for both you and your child.

Michael R Everett DDS PC - 610-826-2001

View Michael Everett's profile on LinkedIn
3120 Fireline Rd. - Palmerton PA 18071